A functioning Windows operating system is required to install this software. Concerning the hardware as a rule of thumb: the more powerful your system is, the better the software will work. You require at least:
- Windows 10, Windows 7 oder Windows 8 (either 32- or 64-bit)
- at least 1 Gigabyte RAM
- .NET 4.6.2 Framework (will be installed automatically if needed)
- A connection to the internet is required while using the software.
Please contact our support if unexpected problems occur while using SecuPerts Identity Inspector. You can reach our Support-Center through our contact form here on our homepage. To help you as effectively as possible we require the following information:
- Software name (SecuPerts Identity Inspector) and version number.
- The designation of the used operating system and possibly installed service packs.
- A short error description as well as how frequent it occurs (sporadic, regular).
Installing the software
To install SecuPerts Identity Inspector proceed as following:
- Save all your current data and close all open programs.
- If you bought SecuPerts Identity Inspector on CD please insert the disc. The setup wizard will start automatically; if not, please open your CD-ROM drive through ‘My Computer’ on your Desktop and execute the file setup per double click (e.g. D:\Setup.exe)
- If you bought the download version of SecuPertsIdentity Inspector, please start the downloaded file per double click. If you have not yet downloaded the file can to it here on our homepage.
Under options you can choose your desired installation path. You can also choose if you want to create a desktop shortcut after the installation is complete. To save these settings click on ‘OK’. The setup wizard will guide you step-by-step through the installation. As usual the following procedure applies:
- Install: The ‘Install’ button will start the installation. Up to the point where you click on ‘Install’ no changes at your system will be made.
- Close: The ‘Close’ button interrupts the installation and cancels all previously changes made.
After successfully installing SecuPerts Identity Inspector you can start it with the following methods:
- Through the start menu: Click on ‘Start -> Programs -> Engelmann Software -> Identity Inspector.
- Through the desktop: Double click on the SecuPerts Identity Inspector icon on your Desktop (if you chose to create it during the setup).
- Through the quick start bar: Click on the SecuPerts Identity Inspector icon in the quick start bar. (Note: By default the quick start bar is not available after Windows 7.)
Important: Prior to the first program start please make sure that your PC has a stable internet connection so SecuPerts Identity Inspector can be licensed and activated.
Starting the software
When you start our software for the first time, you will see the following screen:
Please enter your complete e-mail address there. Our software will then check the security of your e-mail address several times a day. You can have any number of addresses monitored by our software.
If you want to add more email addresses to the monitoring, simply click on the + sign at the top of the software:
For each e-mail address, you will then be shown whether everything is “OK” – or whether the respective e-mail address appears in our databases. If your e-mail address was found in our database, you can take a close look at when and where your address appeared. To do this, please click on “Alarm“.
You should then immediately change your password on this website or service. If you have also used the password elsewhere with this mail address, then you must also change it there! Tips for secure passwords can be found here: How secure is my password?
Please note: You will find four icons in the upper right corner of the software:
- Click on the key icon to enter your serial number or to check the duration of your license.
- Click on the ? to view this online help.
- The gearwheel takes you to the settings, which are self-explanatory. Among other things, you can change the language of the software.
- The x closes the software.
Questions and answers about the SecuPerts Identity Inspector:
- I have already changed my password. Then why does the alarm still exist?
We only check whether your e-mail address is in our database. We cannot check whether you have already changed the password you used. If you have edited this alarm, you can deactivate it by clicking on ” Exclude from alarm notification”:
The respective alarm will then no longer be displayed to you and will be ignored by our software in the future.
- How can a mail address be removed from the monitoring?
Simply click on the icon with the black “x” to the left of the respective mail address. Then the monitoring of the mail address will be stopped immediately.
- How do you know that my mail account has been hacked?
We monitor several databases on the Internet and have also created our own parallel database with hacked e-mail accounts. We have been collecting this data since about 2014, but of course there are also data of older attacks in our database. The current state of the database is always displayed in the software: The number of hacked pages, the total number of endangered accounts and the up-to-dateness of our database are updated daily directly in the software.
- How often is a mail address monitored or checked?
By default, the SecuPerts Identity Inspector monitors the stored e-mail addresses several times a day – it runs constantly in the background for this purpose. In the information area of the task bar (usually at the right bottom) you will find a small icon of the SecuPerts Identity Inspector. If no alarms are (no longer) active, the icon is green. However, if the icon is red, you can check directly from there for which of the stored e-mail addresses there is an alarm and take appropriate action. Note: If this icon is not directly visible in Windows, you can simply drag it from the collection area to the notification area – then it remains visible.